The Monroe look

Don't know if you readers have guessed it yet, but I'm fairly obsessed with Marilyn Monroe, to me she was amazing and quite an inspiring woman! 
As I'm trying to make it somewhere in the make-up world I'm transforming my blog to be more make-up to fashion based! 
So I thought I would start with a post on how to achieve the Marilyn Monroe look!

Marilyn's make-up look was all about the sexy face, strong defined brows, usually a white eyelid with a smoky contour, false eyelashes, strong eyeliner, then to finish it would tend to be a red lip, so a classic 50s look! 

To attempt this I started with my eyes, with applying my make-up I find this is easier, as if any eyeshadow falls etc. you would have to fix your foundation or powder. 
I used my naked basics palette from urban decay which I love!! It has all the colours you would need for an every day look, compared to an evening/night out look. The eyeshadows are mostly more matte than pigmented, I used Venus for my entire eyelid then used naked 2 for the crease and faint for the outer corners of my eyes, as I didn't want my eye make up to be too heavy. 
I then used my gel eyeliner from Mac in their shade black track although I'm not too sure if they do more shades of it! This is really good if you want a more defined line of eyeliner, compared to a pencil where you can smudge for a more smokey look, but I wanted to stick with Marilyn's look so stuck with the gel eyeliner. 
Not the best of pictures, but this is what it came out like for the eyes, I didn't put any fake eyelashes on this time as my mascara is quite good on making my eyelashes long, however I would recommend using fake eyelashes to complete this look. 
I always use a moisture cream before I put my foundation on as it makes the foundation stay on longer, I love body shop products! There's always a product for someone, whatever their skin type, as well as they don't test on animals! 
I've been using this foundation for quite a while which is the Mac Pro Longwear foundation and my colour is NC15 which is one of their lightest colours as my skin is quite pale, then I used my Mac Studio Fix powder which is in NW18, which I think is amazing! As it can also be used as a foundation, it's that thick coverage. A blogger and youtuber with the account called BeautyCrush has raved about this product quite a lot too!
This is from my foundation and powder, I then used my Mac bronzer in the shade harmony. Which I use all the time cause it's just amazing! But I wanted to make it a bit more softer so I put highlighter over the top which is from Mua, this can be found in any drugstore such as boots or SuperDrug, I applied it on my cheek bone in circular motions. 
To finish off my look I penciled in my eyebrows with my eyebrow pencil from Chanel, which I absolutely adore! I think I'm in shade 40. I find it's really easy to apply on, not too soft, but it's not too hard either! I made them quite defined to stick with Monroe's look! 
I then applied my mascara which is also from Mac, I absolutely love this! It's by far the best mascara I've used! I made my eyelashes go a bit more out to the side as that's exactly what Marilyn Monroe's do. 
Finally to compete my look I used a red lipstick from Mac which is from Rihanna's line of make up and it's in the shade RiRi Woo I think this is an amazing colour if you want your lips to truly stand out!
However it is a matte lipstick, so if you're someone like me and like your lipsticks to not dry out so much I applied a lip balm kind of thing underneath. I think Vaseline is great for that kind of thing so I used the limited edition pink bubbly one! 
Then this is my completed look! 
Sorry this post was quite long, I wanted to make it as detailed as possible, considering I haven't posted in a while! 

Comments

Popular Posts